The Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe: Bringing in Children’s Literature

I still distinctly remember Sister Pat asking me to bring her the colorful book about the Lady of Guadalupe from the shelf one afternoon in December. We were going to listen to Sister Pat read to us that afternoon as a part of our religion class. Published only a few years before, The Lady of Guadalupe by Tomie dePaola was new to many of us students, and I venture to guess that it was the first story we encountered with Latino and Indigenous characters. The beautiful colors of the book–the vibrant reds and pinks, the soft yellows and beiges, the greens and bronzes–brought this part of Mexican culture, geography, and history alive for me in my elementary school years.

Today, on the Feast Day of Our Lady, many of the TWIN-CS member schools are celebrating with flowers, parades, and special events. They will hold Mass, sing songs, and read stories, including books like that by Tomie dePaola.

-Mary Bridget Burns, Assistant Director of TWIN-CS

Published by

TWIN-CS

TWIN-CS advances the Catholic tradition of academic excellence by empowering Catholic schools to systematically transform from a monolingual to multilingual educational model in the service of vibrant culturally diverse populations.